2 frozen pie shells (you can make fresh but these taste great and cut down on time)
4 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup white sugar
4 cups pitted cherries
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons cold butter
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) & take out frozen pie shells from freezer. Take one out of pie pan and place upside down on a cutting board and let deflate until flattened.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine tapioca, salt, sugar, cherries and vanilla. Let stand 15 minutes. With a slotted spoon, spoon out mixture into bottom pie shell and dot with cold butter.
3. With a sharp knife cut your top deflated pie crust into 1" strips, start with the middle/longest strip in the centre over your cherry filled base and work your way out, use 1/2 of the top for one direction of your pie crust and use the remaining 1/2 for the other direction weaving in and out like a basket or you can always simply place strips over top of each other still looks/works great! Trip your edges with a knife if needed.
4. Place your pie on a foiled cookie sheet in case it bubbles over and drips
5. Bake for 50 minutes in the preheated oven until, golden brown. Let cool for a couple of hours to allow the filling to set.
6. ENJOY! xo